Sunday, January 25, 2009

Vicco Toothpaste


Vicco Vajradanti Herbal Toothpaste

Did you just go, Vicco what toothpaste? Yes, usually when I tell people that I mostly use Vicco Herbal Toothpaste to brush my teeth, the reply I get is "Vico the chocolate energy drink?". I say no, Vicco with 2 C's.

Yes it is a Herbal Toothpaste from India. And is available is stores in Malaysia. I am not sure now whether it can be 'classified' as a Ayurveda / Ayurvedic Toothpaste though. But it does have Herbal Toothpaste printed on it.

Interestingly the colour of the paste is brownish, probably due to the natural mixture of the paste having herbal contents. Its not the typically 'white' paste. But then again, why are the typical toothpaste white in color. Naturally or colored?




Vicco Toothpaste (not sure what they mean The Original??)


From their website :
"The pure extracts of 20 herbs and barks, tested over generations, have been blended into a potent combination that not only cleans teeth, but also protects and strengthens them.

Vicco Vajradanti offers this unique formula in a dental care paste that has natural astringent, antiseptic, and analgesic properties. These ingredients also stimulate and reinforce gums, while resisting plaque formation. It gives you strong gums, which makes your bite mighty, which no cosmetic toothpaste can ever give."



The Ingredients listed for my curious readers

Based on my experience it does give a fresh feel (cinnamon like) and most importantly I find it 'soft' on my gums. Some other conventional toothpaste sometimes leave my gums hurting, especially the one in the green tube. Another good thing that I've noted about the Vicco Toothpaste is that it reduces my occurrence of getting mouth ulcer. I know ulcers can be caused by many reasons, including stress I believe, but on average I do experience lesser ulcers.

Another 2 things to note is, probably compared to Colgate, it doesn't give me up to '24 hours' of fresh feel. Sure feels fresh after using Vicco, but not as long. But then again, I usually brush more then once in 24hours :) . Another thing is I noticed that my teeth doesn't 'turn' whitish using Vicco. But then again I am a heavy tea drinker. While mentioning tea, I just love Chotu's Masalla tea. But then how do the other toothpaste that claim to whiten teeth work? Usually I'd relate whitening to bleaching, but in this case I don't know.

Now that I'm writing about teeth color. I start to ask myself, are our teeth actually 'built' by God to be white like those white school uniform detergent ads? I came across this website The HK ToothClub and it mentions

"Since the enamel of permanent teeth is slightly transparent, the yellowish colour of dentine is shown through it. Therefore, permanent teeth will appear slightly yellowish. As we get older, the dentine increasingly grows thicker, and it is normal that our teeth become more yellowish."

So what's all the hype about having white teeth anyway? Ok too yellow or black teeth might be a turn off, but I'd rather stick with my natural colour. By the way, usually when I smile, I seldom bare my teeth, more of a closed lipped guy. Pun not intended!

Another interesting point the website explains is that
deciduous teeth (deciduous means baby teeth right?) are not as transparent as our permanent teeth and that's why they look Milky White! Guess what they call 'baby' teeth in Malay; yes, Gigi Susu (Milky Teeth!).

Anyway back to Vicco, you can usually find this toothpaste in Indian Grocery stores, I usually get it from Little India in Penang.

Need help getting the toothpaste, yup go ahead and leave your contact email / number in the comments and I'll see how I can help.

Ok, enjoy brushing!

ps- I just realized while searching Vicco in Wikipedia is that Vicco is a city in Perry County, Kentucky, United States.

0 comments:

 

Popular Posts

Popular Posts this month